Thursday, October 20, 2016

AU Criminal Justice Club Tours Indian River Juvenile Correctional Facility

On Monday, October 17th, the Ashland University Criminal Justice club toured Indian River Juvenile Correctional Facility in Massillon, OH.

IRJCF is an American Correctional Association accredited facility that serves all male youth, and provides a variety of services and treatment to youth including a fully accredited high school, behavioral health services, unit management, medical and dental care, recreation, religious services, community service opportunities and reentry services.

The club members not only toured the facility, but also spoke to the correction officers, chaplain, gang investigator, assistant principal to the school, teachers, and many more workers within the facility.

We spoke to freshman criminal justice major, Dominique Ciehanoski, who had to say this about the tour:
"Going on this trip made me realize that there is more than just the few careers I had in mind.  I decided to major in Criminal Justice because I wanted to be a prosecutor for a long time.  Since majoring in this, I've changed my mind several times.  I love all the options in Criminal Justice.  This was beneficial because the gang investigation and corrections was very interesting to me.  Seeing it hands on in person was very special"
 Rachel Kleman, who is also a Criminal Justice major, shared her insights gained through the tour.
"Visiting Indian River gave me a glimpse of what a career in corrections would be like.  Not only did they give us a tour of the cells and living quarters, but they took us behind the scenes and told us all the different types of careers you are able to have within the facility.  Corrections is a tough field to go into and many don't last throughout the program, but the challenge is what is the most interesting to me.  I also think the trip really put into perspective what a juvenile detention center is really like, unlike the shows you see on TV.  Overall hearing the stories from different workers was really interesting, giving us an example of what really goes on during day to day activity."   
For more information about our Criminal Justice program, and what it has to offer, please visit our website here.




  

2 comments:

  1. This article helps me a lot. Thanks for sharing valuable information. As I was looking for such information, I have found an article useful like this; you can check it out here. Youth Criminal Justice Act in Canada I hope you get more information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your emphasis on the importance of communication between the Lawyer and the client about criminal lawyer. Keeping the client informed and involved in decision-making is crucial for building trust and achieving the best possible outcome.

    ReplyDelete