Det. Evans shared a number of startling facts including:
- In 2014, Ohio recorded the 2nd highest number of drug overdose deaths nationwide.
- Some addicts use $200.00 worth of heroin daily just to "get normal", as they try to avoid the horribly uncomfortable physical withdrawal from heroin, symptoms of which can last 3-7 days.
- The high that a heroin addict gets from the controlled substance lasts just 4-6 hours.
- Most of the heroin users eventually resort to injection as a way to get high and do not return to other manners of ingesting the drug.
- Nearly 60% of heroin users were introduced to heroin by a close or causal friend.
Thank you, Detective Evans, for sharing your time and expertise with Professor Rogers' class!
Heroin affects people all across all different socioeconomic lines, genders and races. Click here for addiction resources from Ashland County Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse.